Today I've participated in class... at last! My group of students have started a new unit called "changes", so it was a great chance for me to start teaching them!
Last Friday Isabel told me to have a look at the activity that I had to prepare from the workbook ("Spotlight"), so that on Monday (today) I could take part in her English lesson. Therefore, during the first half an hour of the lesson, I tried to do my best so that the students enjoy the activities that they were doing.
First of all, there was an activity about some vocabulary words related to the urban landscape, so I asked them about the things that they see when they are walking down the streets, and they all started saying words like flats, traffic lights, railway, car park and so on. After having a look at the pictures from the workbook, they asked the words they didn't know and I tried to answer them in English (well.. sometimes they want the exact translation in Spanish). Then, they did the activity 2, which was about completing the sentences using the words that we have already talked about. Afterwards, we corrected the sentences, one each student, so they could read it loudly and have the chance to have their pronunciation corrected. Then Isabel told me to repeat each sentence so that everybody could get the right answer... (because, as you already may know, there are always some absent-minded students). Finally, exercice 3 was about writing some sentences about their town or village using the vocabulary of the activity 1. I had to ask Isabel how much time I have to leave them to do it, she told me about 5-7 minutes. Besides, she told me to write the sentences they were saying on the blackboard so that everybody could write them... and well, that's what I did!
Then, Isabel prepared a listening for them about a girl who moved to London, how she felt when she started at a new school and how she meet her friends. Unfortunately, there were a few minutes left. Anyway, at least the students could do the listening and ask the words they didn't understand.
To tell you the truth, I didn't expect to have such a good sensation after having taken part in today's English lesson. I really had a good time!
Well, as a conclusion I'd like to write some important points that I have learned today (it's a mix between what Isabel, Oriol -during our CAP lessons- and the students themselves showed me):
As teachers we need -> to speak loudly (our voice has to reach every single student of the classroom) -> to know the names of the students
-> to repeat words, expressions or sentences as much times as necessary
-> to let everybody take part when doing an activity
->to use English when explaining the words the students do not understand. In fact, to use English as much as possible, of course!
->to involve them in doing the activity (from the very beginning till the end/correction)
I also think that it was important for me to do the last observations in front of the classroom, next to the teacher, because on the one hand I got used and got to know the students better, and on the other hand they also got used to my presence.
Well, that's it for now! Next time I'll try to get the camera, so you can see my group (at 8 o'clock in the morning : D)
Cap comentari:
Publica un comentari a l'entrada