dimarts, 16 de desembre del 2008

My last lesson at IES Lluís Vives


Yesterday was my last day at the high school and therefore, their last chance to give me the final project “the script project”. I must say that I was disappointed because just 3 groups (2 of 4 people and 1 of 2- the classroom has 30 students) gave me the CD with the project…

Well, after telling them my feelings about this, I started the lesson explaining them that it was the last day of my unit plan and therefore, they were going to be assessed (even though I have already assessed them through other activities). I was interested in what they have been learning during these 6 hours, that’s why I came up with a “mass media” crossword, with 10 questions related to what we have worked throughout these lessons.

The thing is that right before starting this activity, I asked them to complete a “can-do” list (14 can-do statements + 1 question (most preferred activity)). Each of the 14 statements described an activity done throughout these 6 hours in one of the five communicative domains: reading, writing, speaking, listening and interactive skills. These can-do statements were arranged in four categories: not at all, a little, quite a lot and a lot.

Afterwards, they did the crossword and we all corrected it, I must day that they did a pretty good job. Then, I gave them a photocopy related to “movies”. We first talked about them for a while, and then they started doing the exercises which were about using the following structures “Where/When is the film set?/ It’s set in L.A or 1950/ Who is in it? It stars George Clooney”. The thing is that it was funny, because one of the activity was about thinking of a film they like (using these expressions) and then the rest of the class had to guess the movie title.

The clock kept ticking… and when I realise that I had just 5 minutes left, I told them to pay me attention. I basically wanted to ask them if they’ve had fun, if they’ve liked the lessons and if they had learned, and of course, if I had given good explanations and helped them. I wanted to know their opinion about me as a teacher. I was quite happy because they all said that they had fun, and that they have learned… but I don’t know, I’m not sure about this last one statement, I hope so, though!

I would like to add that as the days were passing by, I got more confident when teaching in the classroom and I also got to know the students better. Therefore, it's a bit of a pitty that we finish the practicum now that we are totally familiar with the students, both individually and as a whole, but well, I guess we'll have the chance to do that when we get a job as a teacher in a high school.

Well… this is it! I have experienced a lot of feelings during these nearly 2 months, good and bad ones, and I have also learned a lot of strategies, tools and activities in order to face secondary students, now I definitely feel more prepared to teach. The CAP practicum has given me the chance to get familiar with the education world, and now that I know it quite well, I must say that there is still a lot of work to do. All that leaves me to say is that this experience was certainly worth it!